Thursday, September 20, 2007

Lovin' the Mangos!

As an avid world traveler, I've consumed mangos on several continents. Therefore, I believe I speak with a bit of authority when I say that the mangos in Senegal are the best in the world! And when they're in season, they're the cheapest fruit you can buy! I've bought ridiculous amounts already, chopped them, and frozen them, so that I can enjoy this sweet treat long after they're gone from the local fruit vendor's stand. Aside from serving them with homemade yogurt with a touch of honey, I have recently served a delicious Mango Crisp, where all I did was substitute mangos for apples. I'd share that recipe, but I don't have it with me - it stayed at home, along with all my beloved cookbooks, and most all of our theology books as well! So, while this entry isn't truly a recipe (as I promised to provide with this blog), it is a suggestion. Try making a healthy crisp with whole wheat flour, oats, and just a tough of brown sugar. Instead of the full amount of butter your'd normally use, substitute some of it with fruit juice (lemon juice adds a nice tang!).

On another note, sorry I haven't posted any recipes here. I hardly have the chance to post on our primary blog - www.xanga.com/whatsupwithdat. Maybe once I get more organized I'll be able to share some fun Senegalese recipes. Or, if anyone reading this reads our newsletters (found at www.geocities.com/danandangiethornton), we usually include a recipe. So, hopefully soon I'll be able to at least post all of these here for easier access.

No comments: